Setting up Exchange (for Outlook and Exchange compatible clients)
To set up Exchange on your e-mail client, you will need one of the following:
An Exchange 2016 compatible version of Outlook (Outlook 2010 SP1 or above)
Mac Mail on OS X v10.6 or later
NOTE: If you have Autodiscovery set up on your domain pointing to another server, you must either update your DNS record to point to Smartt before you can set up Exchange (if you are unsure if this has been done, please contact us). Otherwise, you can set up via IMAP or POP3 (see below).
Once you have Autodiscovery set up, you can set up your e-mail client via the following steps:
- Go to Control Panel (right click on the Start Menu and select Control Panel) - open the "Mail Icon"
- Click on "Show Profiles"
- Click on "Prompt for a profile to be used" to have Outlook prompt you to choose what account you wish to use when starting up (this is best if you have multiple accounts).
- Click "Add..." to begin setting up a new profile.
- On the New Profile window, enter a profile name you will recognize (such as "Smartt Exchange"). Click OK
- On the Auto Account Setup window, enter:
- Your Name: Your real name
- Email Address: Your full e-mail address
- Password: Your Exchange password (same as for webmail)
- Click Next. Outlook will begin searching for settings (if Autodiscovery is not set up correctly, this will fail).
- If you are prompted "Allow this website to configure..." with the server name of exch01.smartt.com, place a checkmark in "Don't ask me about this website again" and click "Allow".
- After it has searched for settings (it will put a green check by "Searching for user settings"), it will try to log in - this process will fail after several minutes (this can take up to 10 minutes to fail - please be patient - the program may show "Not Responding", but it is still trying).
- Once you see the error stating "The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...", click OK
- You will be prompted for a login - do NOT log in. Click Cancel.
- You will now see a red X beside "Logging on to the mail server", and a prompt for your e-mail address and password.
- Put a check in "Change account settings" (this will grey out the entire window) and click Next.
- Under "Choose Service", select Microsoft Exchange (should be already selected) and click Next.
- Under Server Settings, enter the following:
- Server: exch01.smartt.com (if this does not work, please use "EXCH01" instead)
- Username: if not already filled in, enter your full e-mail address
- Put a check mark in Use Cached Exchange Mode
- Click on More Settings
- Click on the Connection Tab
- Put a check mark in "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP"
- Click "Exchange Proxy Settings"
- Enter in "exch01.smartt.com" in the first field (by https://)
- Put a checkmark in "On fast networks..."
- Under "Proxy Authentication Settings" click the down arrow by "NTLM Authentication" and change it to "Basic Authentication."
- Click OK
- Click OK to exit the Connection Tab.
- At the Server Settings screen, click Next.
- You will now be prompted to log in, enter your full e-mail address and password and click OK.
- You should now see a screen that says "You're all set!". Click Finish.
- Click OK on the Mail window to close the profile list.
- Open Outlook and select the profile you have just set up - you will be prompted to log in, then Outlook will build your profile.
- Open Mac Mail
- Go to Mail - Accounts from the menu bar
- Click the Exchange icon to begin adding a new account.
- Fill out the form with your name, e-mail address, and password. Click Sign In.
- If you have entered in your information correctly, you will be prompted to choose what you want to sync with Mac Mail (Mail, Calendar, etc). Select your preferences and complete the process.
Setting up a POP3 or IMAP-compatible client
NOTE: If you set up your account as POP3, it will only download new messages from the Inbox and any changes you make on your local computer will not synchronize with the server. Also, any folders that you may have set up (or migrated from an older account) will not be downloaded from the server. It is advised to set up as IMAP whenever possible to take advantage of your Exchange online folders.
As there are many IMAP and POP3 compatible clients with different instructions, it is best to refer to your program's help menu to determine the exact steps. When prompted, please use the following settings:
SMTP Server: exch01.smartt.com
POP3 Server: exch01.smartt.com
IMAP Server: exch01.smartt.com
Username: your full e-mail address
Password: your Exchange password